mygapyear was created by Julie Newton and Tara Rinomato because of a need from our families and friends to fill a gap - a gap between high school and university and university and beyond.
Kids need a break; parents need to feel that it’s time well spent.
Through our organizational and coaching skills, we have successfully consulted with clients to make a meaningful gap year possible.
- Educated in the UK (University of East Anglia) and later transferred to the University of Toronto to compliment her studies.
- Worked for the Ontario provincial government for 15 years and specialized in policy development and program delivery particularly as a manager in the areas of education and retraining initiatives.
- Spent time as a stay at home parent raising 2 children and has guided a daughter through a gap year and provided other learning opportunities for both children.
- Volunteered in the school system as President of Parent Associations. Julie was also Vice President of Volunteers Etobicoke, a local not for profit agency.
- Adler Certified Professional Coach (ACPC) through the University of Toronto/Ontario Institute of Studies in Education.
- Accredited Certified Coach (ACC) with the International Coaching Federation (ICF). Member of the ICF and the ICF-GTA local chapter.
- Specialization in ADHD coaching through JST Coaching.
- Founder of Jules Coaching (click for website)
- University graduate from the University of Toronto, and spent five years working in the public library system.
- Through her work in a family home construction business she brings creative marketing skills to mygapyear.
- Expert in identifying and planning exceptional educational opportunities for young people. She is a resource in the community for sourcing educational programs outside the school environment, and is continually exploring innovative learning experiences.
- Worked as a volunteer and fundraiser for several children’s charities and has volunteered in her local church.
- Spent time as a stay at home parent raising 3 children. She volunteered at her children’s school and was involved in global creative problem solving competitions. She has also guided her daughter through a gap year, as well as provided summer learning opportunities for her children.
Julie and Tara acknowledge the value in learning beyond the classroom to enrich themselves and others. Through their own experiences and raising their families, both recognize the importance of self discovery through transitional times, especially for young adults. In addition, educational travel and wilderness experiences with their children have confirmed the importance of global awareness for mygapyear.
Julie and Tara are passionate about sharing the value of taking the time to give back, review and reflect, seek greater depth in life and reconnect.
Michelle is an Ontario Certified Teacher who believes that many of our most valuable lessons originate outside the walls of a classroom and is working with mygapyear to help youth gain access to those experiences.
She believes that exploring to find one’s passion helps individuals lead more fulfilling lives. Michelle is passionate about teaching transferable skills, specifically leadership skills, as she understands that leading oneself and others is what ignites possibility. She is currently working on her Masters of Arts in Leadership and is excited to share her knowledge and experience with others.
Michelle took her other passions of teaching and traveling and worked in the Educational Travel industry for almost 8 years which reinforced her understanding of the importance of experiential learning. She still enjoys traveling and has been to over 25 countries with her family, on her own and with organized groups. She is actively engaged in various communities through volunteer work with youth and adults. She loves to snowboard, kayak and hike but also takes the time to settle in with a good book.